The Whittington Hospital is a 500 bedded DGH in Highgate, North London. It is forms one of the 3 hospitals in UCL medical school.
The anaesthetic department supplies anaesthetic services to all areas of the trust.
There are 10 operating theatres; surgery performed includes general, bariatric, colorectal, gynaecology, urology, orthopaedics, spinal surgery and paediatric dental. We have a busy Labour ward with around 3600 deliveries per year.
Anaesthetic staff also provide support to the emergency department, pain management service, pre operative assessment clinic, Intensive care and outreach teams.
|Hospital type||General (DGH) Hospital|
|Address||Magdala Avenue, Archway|
|Modules and |
Bariatric Fellow post - 6 months
- Departmental meetings, which all members of the department are required to attend, weekly.
- Trainee office/rest room in theatres, local library, PCs with internet access, good staff WiFi
- Numerous teaching opportunities including UCL MBBS modules, FY simulation and MDT training.
1 in 7 rotas for CTs and STs, new contract compliant.
3 rota lines (1 x SHO, 2 x Reg):
CT2 (and anaesthetics ACCS CT3, ICM and EM placements) rota
STs/CT3eq/Specialty Doctors/CTs post IACOA
All on call shifts for STs/registrars alternate between theatre and obstetric shifts.
The ICU has a separate resident SHO and Registrar rota comprising a mix of trainees and trust doctors from FY training to senior Specialty Doctors but may not include airway cover, in which case the anaesthetic department support.
- Kostas Miltsios – Clinical Lead, QI lead
- Basil Almahdi – Undergraduate lead, Chronic Pain lead
- Christos Angelis – Regional lead
- Katie Batte – College Tutor, Simulation lead, leave coordinator
- Tim Blackburn – Day surgery lead, Equipment lead
- Ahmed Chekairi – Airway lead
- Amila Gunawardhana – Vascular access, regional interest
- Dina Hadi – locum consultant, Obstetric lead
- Samina Ishaq – Chair of Medical Committee, Acute Pain lead
- Mehnaz Khan – Pre-assessment lead
- Amir Landeck – Associate Specialist, lead for ECT
- Denise Lim – Audit Lead
- Thaamharah Mahendrayogam – starting Sept 2021
- Sola Makinde – Associate Medical Director (workforce), Governance lead
- Sotiris Nicholas – Paediatric lead
- Catherine Shaw – Regional Advisor Central School; FRCA examiner
- Sarah Ward – Pre-assessment interest
- Trudi Young – TPD Central School; rota coordinator
- Yuri Zakharchuk – Senior Specialty Doctor
- Ahmad Ziyad – Bariatric lead
-- ICM & Anaesthetic consultants
o Sarah Gillis (clinical lead for ITU)
o Andy Badacsonyi (ICM college tutor)
o Nick Harper
o Tamas Varga
- ICM consultants
o Prof Hugh Montgomery
o Magda Cepkova
o Louise Ma